Friday, April 28, 2017

Seven Sacred Manila Catholic Churches That You Can Visit Even After Holy Week





"Happy Easter to you too. They say it's a new beginning. Hopefully! God bless too!". That's what I replied to a caller before my last shift of the week ended when she said to enjoy the holiday. Oh Yes! Definitely because it's rest day mode again. How was your weekend? Last sunday was not really different to me and all I remember was coachella totally crashed instagram. Yeah! Congratulations for being part of it! Oops! Let me not forget that I also visited different churches in Manila for the second time around. It was last year when I did "Visita Iglesia" or Seven Churches Visitation and I never thought that this would happen again because of my busy work schedule. Like what I wrote on my previous article, religion really plays a vital role in the life of every Filipino. Admittedly, even before I'm not deeply religious and this is the main reason why I decided to do this again. It's my way to give praise to Him and continue pray for my worries away.
According to studies, the Philippines is the 3rd largest Christian country on earth(after Brazil and Mexico). It is believed that more than 86 percent of the population is Roman Catholic. Well, even without study you can see the strong proof because of the church on almost every street corner. Like many, as a follower of Jesus Christ I also consider Holy Week as a very special and sacred time of the year. We yearly mark our calendar at home and save this week. What's the difference of Lent and Holy Week? Oh! That's a great question! I was confused at first but Lent is actually a period of 40 days which comes before Easter in the Catholic calendar. It starts on Ash Wednesday and Holy Week is the last week of the lent season. The week before Easter, starting on Palm Sunday. 
There are a lot of religious practices during Holy Week especially in the Philippines and one example is "Visita Iglesia". It is said that it was started by Saint Philip Neri around 1553 and was introduced by Augustinians in the 1560s. A very old practice where devotees visit and pray in at least 7 churches. There are people who do this to seek penance for sins while others like me use this as a form of pilgrimage and meditation. Devotees either visit 14 churches for each of the 14 Stations of the Cross or the usual is they pray two stations in each of the 7 churches. Like last year, to make it more personal and soulful I just mostly prayed(a lot). Visiting churches can be done in one day, usually on Maundy Thursday or it can take days until Easter Sunday if churches are far apart. Same goes with what I did before, due to work heavy load I already started Holy Tuesday and ended morning of Maundy Thursday. It took me three days to complete seven churches visitation. Two churches on my first and third day. Three churches on second day. Definitely, they were all somewhat within reach and Metro Manila churches.
Supposedly this article already rolled out before Maundy Thursday but I decided to just post this on a normal day after the lent season. Like? Today! I remember the 4th commandment "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy". I would like to at least help people out with this article that it's not only during Holy Week or Easter Sunday where you can go to church freely. Actually, I'm also referring to myself. Here are the seven Catholic churches in Manila that I visited last Holy Week where you can go this Sunday and be enlightened with His words.


St. Pancratius Chapel


First on the list is the home of peace and very nature-loving, the Chapel of St. Pancratius in Belen, Paco, Manila City. I never thought that there's a small church inside Paco Park until I researched about it. Well, at first I was hesitant to go here because it's a bit an isolated place. I felt unsafe right away but that didn't stop me. Everything I know about Paco Park is just word-of-mouth and hearsay until I went there. If not a venue for grand wedding I mostly hear this place during Halloween(All Saint's Day). Many believed that this place is haunted and there are ghosts around the park. Understandably, horror stories will just continue because it was once Manila's municipal cemetery.


I was at the most relaxing and untroubled place in the city of Manila that time. Truly an urban oasis! There's an entrance fee of 10 pesos(roughly USD .20). This oval chapel was dedicated to St. Pancratius who was beheaded for his faith at the age of 14. His Greek name literally means "the one that holds everything". The altar was originally white and gold. Each side of it is the repositories for the remains of Governors and Bishops.


This park is circular in shape with an inner circular fort that served as the original cemetery. Its walls were made as niches and as the population continued to grow, a second outer wall made of thick adobe was built. Not only a place for worship but it also has a historical value. It was declared as National Historical Shrine because the area where the remains of three martyred priests(Fathers Mariano Gomes, Jose Burgos, Jacinto Zamora) and other great Filipinos were buried. This was also the first burial place of Jose Rizal, a national hero of the Philippines.

Schedule of Masses
Sundays and Holidays
10:00AM-11:00AM
5:00PM-6:00PM
Every 12th day of the month 
9:00AM
Schedules may not be accurate and updated.


San Fernando de Dilao Parish


Just nearby Paco Park is San Fernando de Dilao Parish or more commonly known as Paco Catholic Church. It was built in honor of the Spanish King Saint Ferdinand III of Castile. Its romanesque-byzantine interior with recently Italian Baroque styled altar will give you solemn mood when you go inside. There's also a Latin inscription similar in style to Saint Peter's Basilica in Vatican City.


It is said that the church is also active in medical mission for its poor parishioners within the community. Also dental and ENT(ear, nose and throat) charitable services.


Redemptorist Church


A picture of  Redemptorist Church taken at early 6 am. A very popular church in Manila. Like the sun that is about to rise on the picture, it gives full of hope to many worshippers who pray here everyday.


The also known as National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help is also one of the largest Marian churches in the Philippines. However, people more commonly called it "Baclaran Church" and every wednesday is popularly called "Baclaran Day" where pilgrims attend Mass and pray the Novena to Our Mother of Perpetual Help. Considerably, the place of Baclaran is also a "Shopping Mecca" of Metro Manila.


Shrine of Jesus, The Way, The Truth and The Life


This church is the fulfillment of the late Pope John Paul II(now a Saint) when he visited the Philippines in 1995 for the World Youth Day. It was spearheaded by Archbishop of Manila, the late Cardinal Jaime L. Sin. With the help of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sy Sr. of the Shoe Mart Group of Companies(Forbes richest family in the Philippines) the dream materialized. Many bikers and runners pass by this beautiful church and pray. 


Church of Malate


This Baroque-style church fronted by Plaza Rajah Sulayman and Manila Bay is dedicated to Nuestra SeƱora de los Remedios(Our Lady of Remedies), the patroness of childbirth. The church of Malate used to be known as "Maalat" due to the saline waters of the bay and was established by the Augustinian Friars on September 8, 1588.


Despite of many natural and man-made disasters, the church remains its beauty.


National Shrine of the Sacred Heart of Jesus


Of all the churches I visited last Holy Week this church was not on my list. Simply because I didn't know National Shrine of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I was looking for a church just within Makati City and my colleague suggested to visit a church in Dao/San Antonio Village. Thanks to google and I didn't get lost.



Another peaceful sanctum in the middle of urban life and a perfect place to pray. 


St. John Bosco Parish Church


After Greenbelt Chapel and Saint Andrew the Apostle Parish last 2016, St. John Bosco Parish Church was the third modern church I visited last Holy Week in the city of Makati. Don Bosco church(mostly called by the parishioners) is located along Arnaiz St. formerly Pasay Road, at the corner of Amorsolo Street in Barangay San Lorenzo in Makati City.



Not only with its wow geometric architecture but you will surely go back here because of the inspiring story of St. John Bosco. He was a 19th century Italian century, writer and educator. He was given the title of "Father and Teacher of the Youth" because of his dedication to improve the welfare of the disadvantaged youth like street children and juvenile delinquents. 

There are still many churches in the Philippines I want to visit and pray. I would like to know their stories and share it to you. My blog is for everyone who wants to read it. Feel free to like my facebook page to Supermarkymacky etc. and supermarkymacky instagram account.




No comments:

Post a Comment