Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Manila Zoo: Uncage The Beasts




"Manila, Manila, I keep coming back to Manila. Simply no place like Manila". That song from a Filipino band Hotdog starts my new article. No more guessing, it's about Manila, the Philippines' capital and my lovely city. Actually, just one of its tourist spots. Have you been here? Fun facts, it's one of the most crowded cities in the planet earth and a perfect city to be streetwise. Although it's not as beautiful as Taguig City or Makati City, you'll still appreciate it because of the historical places like Binondo, the world's oldest Chinatown and Intramuros that brings you back to Spanish era. It may not have a lot of skyscrapers like New York and Hong Kong but it has a small jungle in the middle of hustle and bustle, the Manila Zoo!
This year I'd like to continue doing "90s childhood throwback", it means I'll continue going to places I had visited when I was a kid. Isn't it cool? Thus, to kick off the new month let me now share to you a new entry, it's about Manila Zoo. My apologies if it's not about Valentine's day because honestly I don't know that and all I know is the love for animals. For sure you will love them more after seeing these images. Time to scroll down! 



Hi! I'm an elephant! As far as I remember the last time I went to Manila Zoo was when I was in High School and sadly the beauty was no longer there. I felt bored and what's the saddest is to feel this again when we visited three weeks ago. I could no longer see the beautiful and fun zoo, one that I had seen fifteen years ago.



Manila Zoo is dying. Help! Being a true-blue Manileño(born and raised in Manila) I'm deeply worried about the situation of the animals and the zoo itself. Unpleasant smell, boring atmosphere and few animals. Some of them are thin and miserable-looking like the elephant, tiger and lion. What should we do? How can we help? It's also a city's charm and it's very important not only for me but mainly for students.



Unhappy elephant. It was with mixed emotions when I looked toward the elephant. I didn't know if I should leave or stay, even though I already paid our entrance. I just felt helpless, so I walked away from it.



The power of blog. Instead of being melodramatic I chose to enjoy the day, the chirping of the birds and their feces on the ground. Bad birds! Just kidding. Sad but true, there are things that really beyond our control and we have no choice but to let it pass, let it go! I'd like to rebuild Manila Zoo but I don't have millions of pesos. I rest my case, I'm afraid. Perhaps, my small contribution is to finish this article and let everyone read it. Like a shout-out to all of us that we need to save these animals, feed them very well and let them live in a much better zoo.



How can you help? The simplest way is to visit the zoo. The more people who will go and pay for the entrance, the more budget they can get to maintain it. For sure this petrified lizard will welcome you with a big tummy.



Don't disturb them. Yes, don't even throw stones at them. They are in a deep sleep. January is one of the coolest months in the Philippines and sadly crocodiles were dormant when we saw them. They seem sunbathing on this picture but they are really enjoying the bed weather. Like them, humans also tend to be sleepy when its cold. Right? So, let's just leave them for now. 



Yes for Zoo or No for Zoo? Even today it's still a question if it's really important to have a zoo in the city. Putting it up amid the urban skyscrapers is still debatable. Many are concerned about caging the animals and letting them live in their unnatural habitat. What's my stand about it? Very simple a zoo like safari where animals are free to go anywhere and people can experience wildlife. I know it's expensive to have that kind of zoo but way better for animals and still safe for visitors. 



The true Bugs Bunny of Looney Tunes. Just in case you don't know it's an animated cartoon character. They are rabbits and they love carrots.

Many domestic animals and few wild animals. I don't know if it's good or bad, I've seen a lot of household pets in Manila Zoo such as chicken, goat, horse, cow and turtle. Fewer wild animals than before like tigers, lion, elephant and monkeys. Good because domestic animals are easy to keep and even raise, on the contrary, we already know them and it's bad when we get bored. Moreover, few wild animals can be good if the zoo doesn't have enough budget to take good care of them and it's also bad because this perhaps an indication that something happened to them, either they died or transferred to a better zoo. I guess it's time for Manila Zoo to find a wider place and make the old location like a butterfly or bird sanctuary. Hopefully, everything will be good when they move forward. 

Just in case you're reading this with your kid(s) I hope you'll enjoy all the pictures of the animals. Scroll down for more! 



What kind of chicken is this? 



The Black Hornbill is shy.



Owl's eyes are stunning.



If you want to have a memorable picture with the parrots, you can go at this photo booth.



I think she's pregnant.



And I think he's the father.



Wishing Well? Well, shall I say it's not well to say wish at the wishing well?



Sleepyhead crocodile. I wonder why in our society there's a negative connotation for crocodiles? I mean referring to the world of politics, is it because they eat a lot or sleep a lot? On the other hand it's also a symbol of expensive and well known brands like Lacoste and Crocs.



They are all cute like flamingos.



Kinder Zoo inside Manila Zoo. Sadly, I wasn't able to go inside.



He's not ready for chicken noodle soup.



Don't get shocked, it's just a chicken. You'll definitely have a second look, yes they are chicken known as Silkie. Although they are fluffy, they aren't puppy.



My mom is now part of my blog team. Yehey!

Admission as of January 2018
For Non-Manilans
Adult/Child above 4 ft.- P100 (roughly more than 2 US Dollars)
Child below 4 ft.- P60 (roughly more than 1 US Dollars)
For Manilans
Adult/Child above 4 ft.- P50 (roughly 1 US Dollars)
Child below 4 ft.- P30 (less than a Dollar)
*Please present individual ID's indicating your Manila residency to avail of Manila Rate like Barangay ID, Voter's ID, Driver's License, TIN or Postal ID. NO ID, NO Discount!



Are you looking for a friend? 



These two cute monkeys are enjoying their Valentine's Day. 



You got this, bro!



Experience how to ride a horse is a fun activity to try in Manila Zoo.



It's still a question for me if it's a horse or just a brown zebra. 



Thank you for reading! After visiting Manila Zoo I felt hopeful that someday when I get back to this place it will put a smile on my face and make me more thankful. Zoo is very important  because it gives as an easy access to wild animals and domesticated animals. It's much better than watching Animal Planet, National Geographic and Discovery Channel. Thus, let's take really good care of the animals. It's my intention not to include the pictures of the tiger and lion because they are thin. I thought that their conditions were no longer good and I don't want to make you cry. Perhaps, these pictures are enough to say that Manila Zoo needs more attention from the local government. As a citizen of Manila and taxpayer, I deserve a better zoo. In addition to this article, I created a video blog on my Youtube Channel SuperMarkyMacky MOR about Manila Zoo with the same title. Just click this link https://youtu.be/v1M1QgcORvY or watch here.
You'll be moved!

Readers, I also need your help to get more likes and followers on my Facebook Page Supermarkymacky etc. https://m.facebook.com/supermarkymackyetc/?ref=bookmarks
Facebook Group: SuperMarkyMacky & Folks
Spread the words and see you when I see you! 







No comments:

Post a Comment