Thursday, September 29, 2016

High Five To Our 5 Favorite Convenient Stores In Manila





It was 2 in the morning when Marky suddenly woke up, felt a bit irritated because he wasn't able to catch the ending of his beautiful dream about his ultimate crush, a minute after when he realized why he woke up in the middle of the night, because he was hungry. His stomach was like shouting and asking to check the fridge. He went out of his room and checked their fridge but surprisingly, there was none, no food at all, just a pitcher with cold water. He then remembered, he forgot to buy his 1 week food supply at the grocery. He didn't know what to do, he was really craving for food. Yeah! Like, "alms, alms, alms, spare me a piece of bread". There was a moment of silence, then, eureka! There was like an image appeared on top of his head, shining bright, like a light bulb. It was the convenient store few steps from their street. He arrived there wearing his bright pink pajamas, bought his favorite crunchy fried chicken, choco mousse cake and large cup of coffee. The end of the story was, he enjoyed it while watching his favorite 'next top model'.
Look, this perhaps one of many stories we could hear from a friend, colleague, bestfriend, mom, brother or an acquaintance about convenient store. For sure you have one unforgettable experience you wanna share.
I've been working in bpo(business process outsourcing) industry for more than 5 years, and to tell you what, convenient store has been my best buddy, you can count on when you forgot your packed lunch, you can buy not only instant foods but toiletries, chips, snack, soda, desserts like ice cream, cigarettes, alcoholic beverages, prepaid call cards, magazines and pay bills. A true one-stop shop for everything. So as my way of thanking them, convenient stores will be my new subject. Nowadays, everywhere you look you see them open 24/7. Do you know there are more than 10 convenient stores in the Philippines? I honestly haven't been to all of these stores yet, so I just collated the 5 convenient stores I've been to, also based on which I find the 'most popular' and usual 'word of mouth' of many filipinos. And to highlight each store well-loved and in demand product/s. I know they are all familiar to you, which one is your favorite? Where do you usually buy? So what's the first store?




1. All Day
I was walking along Don Bosco Makati when I saw All Day Store, it was my first time to eat here, the picture of the 'siomai' made me crave so I went inside, sadly it was not available, but since I was there hungry, I bought the food I usually order in a convenient store, none other than, fried chicken with rice, for 59pesos/piece, it's a reasonable price, although I'm still looking for more crunchy and much bigger chicken, but it was also taste good with gravy alongside. 
Do you know it is owned by a Filipino? Yes! Tied up with an established Vista Land's residential brands like camella, crown asia and vista residences. Operating nearly 100 stores nationwide.
It provides affordable fast food meals such as 'siopao', hotdogs, pizza, sandwiches, salads, desserts, and soft-serve sundaes.
Also services like bills payment for major utilities, service providers, as well as load for cellular phones. (c) www.allday.com.ph





The cashier asked me to try their refreshment 'icebolz', I was thinking twice If I would give it a shot because I know it's really sweet since I had tried it before from a different convenient store but, ending? I still bought it for 25pesos and yes it was sugary, good thing I had my bottled water with me. Anyhow, my first experience with All Day was okay, maybe because I was really looking for 'siomai' but I didn't get a chance to taste it.



2. Lawson
From a post I accidentally saw on facebook made me decide to go Lawson. It was when my highschool classmate posted that a new convenient store will open near their street. And the name is Lawson, at first I thought it was american brand. But not, perhaps by name but it's another convenient store chain from Japan. The first ever Lawson in the Philippines opened last March 2015 in my town Sta.Ana, Manila. A joint venture between Lawson Asia Pacific and Puregold Price Club, there are nearly more than 50 stores successfully operating in the country now. (c) Wikipedia




(c) veshyvan

As an ice cream lover, pretty much this was the main reason why I went here, to taste the talk of the town, black soft serve, no! Its not black, its super super dark green! Okay, it has a name though, the swirl to the max 'Bamboo Charcoal' for only 25pesos, for as long as you know how to swirl to the highest level, you can dispense more than a gallon, so make sure to bring a bowl, keep the excess in your fridge for tomorrow, now you're a certified cheapskate, isn't it great frugal living? Hahah, wise, right? It really tasted well!
What also amazed me was there are sockets on the wall mounted tables where you can charge your mobile for free. Wow! And the store was also clean. Indeed, it's not just an easy quick fix food stop. (c) lawson-philippines.com                        



3. 7 Eleven
Third on the list is a household name 7-Eleven, for sure everyone knows it since they have the most number of stores(roughly 1,655 stores) and one of the earliest established convenient stores in the country. 
An international chain of convenience stores that operates, franchises and licenses some 56,600 stores in 18 countries. It was originally known as 'Tote'm Stores' because customers 'toted' away their purchases, until renamed in 1946 to 7-Eleven to reflect the company's new extended hours, 7:00 am to 11:00 pm, seven days per week. (c) wikipedia




Forget about your sweet slurpee and cold gulp, even just for today, as this store wants you to enjoy the 'brewtiful' day, take a moment and relax on the couch with your french vanilla coffee(39pesos) from 7-Eleven.



4. Family Mart
(c) www.familymart.com.ph

Another family-friendly store is about to conquer the Philippines, from their first store opened last April 2013 at Glorietta 3 Mall in Makati now FamilyMart has more than 150 stores in the country. (c) wikipedia
Like Lawson, I find it very clean and refreshing to the eyes. 


FamilyMart was the one that introduced me to somewhat unlimited soft serve. And again as an ice cream lover, you can't resist to take advantage, right? Like what this store says, their well-deserved 'Twirl All You Can' is the best way to get over the stress of the week, for 25pesos you can bond with your friends or colleagues during your lunch.


(c) Janica M

They have different flavors of soft serve, it depends on the store what flavors are available, there are either salted caramel, green tea, white chocolate, dark chocolate, kiwi, raspbery or combination of two flavors. There are other stores that require patience because of the queues, make sure to bring bowl too if you want to twirl all you can.



5. Mini Stop
(c)commons.wikimedia.org

Last but not the least, another famous 24-hour convenience store chain in the Philippines and said to be one of the largest convenience store chains in Japan. The MiniStop. There are roughly more than 507 stores now in the country. It carries a wide assortment of merchandise and an extensive selection of ready-to-eat products. (c) wikipedia/ (c) ministop.com.ph


(c)MINISTOP Philippines/fb

I fell in love with their uncle john's crunchy fried chicken when I was working in pioneer-edsa last year, for less than 100pesos you can buy it with drinks. It really helped me working on a graveyard shift since I had a hard time to bring packed lunch. Honestly, you will get addicted to eat, it's really good to the point that after your shift before I would buy another one, especially when they sold bbq glazed fried chicken. UHHHMMM! I miss you! 

Now, we were able to know more our favorite convenient stores in town, their yummy and tempting foods. Just eat moderately! 






No comments:

Post a Comment