Thursday, October 20, 2016

Makati City: The "Gangnam Style" Experience At Gentleman Korean Restaurant




Ahn-nyeong-ha-se-yo!(that's hello in korean, and that's all I know) Welcome to Korea! Ooppss! Just kidding, I haven't been there yet though, hopefully the soonest? Well, as they say "keep your fingers crossed". Anyway, while the skies are cloudy and dark gray outside, downpour is about to start, me here typing my new post for my blog while enjoying my brewed coffee. Hope you're at your best mode while reading this too, now let's talk about Korea! Not really about their country but my experience eating in a korean restaurant last year with my japanese friends. It was after our business meeting when I was invited to join them for dinner. At first I didn't know where would we eat, I was somehow understood them but all I heard that time was "gentleman". It was just a treat, so I had no choice but to say okay than no way. I honestly miss them now, sadly I can't speak fluent "nihongo", the japanese language, so they had no options but to adjust and talk to me in english. I was still thinking while we were walking amid that evening, along Poblacion, Makati City, what and where is gentleman? Even who is he? What else can I say but? Ikemasho! (let's go in japanese)



    (credit to keiko kato)

Welcome to Gentleman!

Now I know! That was the first phrase I said when we were at the entrance of the restaurant. Do you know Psy? You might be living in other planet if you don't know him, he is a south korean singer, songwriter, and record producer. The creator of "Gangnam Style", it's dance craze hit the youtube by really super storm, went viral and reached one billion views last Dec. 21, 2012. Amazing, right? Not only that, his second song that became also a craze because of its upbeat and novelty music was "Gentleman". Have you seen the video? It was the trend before PPAP(Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen). A korean restaurant named after the infectious dance song of Psy. Can't wait to go inside!



(credit to keiko kato)

I must say, what really excites you when you eat in a korean resto is the grilling part. The first thing you will remember and encourages you to go again.



(credit to keiko kato)

Japanese and Filipinos dinner at Korean Restaurant. Yeah! Because we love different asian cuisines. Happy Tummy United Nations! 


It was my first time to eat in a korean resto and honestly everything was new to me, although some food somewhat had resemblance to filipino food. I had no chance to get their names and prices, so I googled them and I hope I'm correct with all the information. Let's get to know them one by one.



(credit to keiko kato)

Pajeon- a variety of jeon with green onions, as its prominent ingredient as pa literally means 'green/spring onion' in korean. It is a pancake-like korean dish made from a batter of eggs, wheat flour, rice flour, green onions, and often other additional ingredients depending on the variety. Usually recognizable by the highly visible green onions.

What is Jeon? Pancake-like dishes in korean cuisine. Made with various ingredients such as sliced meats, poultry, seafood and vegetables depending on the style and mixed with flour batter or coated with egg batter and then pan-fried with oil. Commonly eaten as an appetizer or sometimes as a sweet.

(wikipedia)


(credit to keiko kato)

Samgyeopsal- a popular korean dish commonly an evening meal, a thick, fatty slices of unseasoned pork belly. Commonly grilled with garlic and onions, or with kimchi together at either side. Dipped in sesame oil and salt mixture, and wrapped with ssamjang in lettuce. (wikipedia) 






(credit to keiko kato)



(credit to keiko kato)

I'm not certain, somewhat this was another version of sweet & spicy korean beef stew, a nutritious food, with its bell pepper and carrots somehow remind me of filipino 'caldereta'. Even if I forgot the name, I'm sure it's my favorite, Yes! I'm certain with that. If in case you know, feel free to comment below.


I first fell in love with koreanovelas when I was high school student and now with korean cuisine. And thanks to my japanese friends who treated me, nice to know we have another one thing in common, our love for asian food. It's a great way to taste the beautiful culture of Korea. This Gentleman Korean Restaurant is highly recommendable to foodies, like you!



(credit to keiko kato)

Flying kisses from our friend, Tamura-san. Thanks for reading my blog. Till we meet again on another post. I hope this guide you on your next food trip. 



No comments:

Post a Comment