¡Hola, amigos y amigas! How are you today?
Isang maulan na umaga! It's a multilingual day today as I'm kicking off this new blog with a mix of Spanish, English, and Tagalog. I thought it would be a fun way to greet everyone!
Well, I've been feeling a little under the weather for about a week now. It's flu season, and a strong typhoon has just passed through the country, leaving us with rain that seems to fall 24/7. Kaya naman, it's been the perfect weather to stay indoors, get some much-needed rest, and gather my thoughts for today's blog.
Boracay Keyhole
Who here loves Olivia Rodrigo? If you do, welcome to the club!
Have you listened to her new songs—"Stupid Song," "The Cure," and "Maggots for Brains"? I've had them on repeat since last month, and I still haven't gotten tired of them. The lyrics, the artistry, the production—oh my, everything is just wow! I especially love how the songs blend sounds reminiscent of the '70s, '80s, and '90s while still feeling fresh and unmistakably Olivia.
What I find so ironic is that they're incredibly relaxing to listen to, yet the lyrics hit you right in the heart. There's this beautiful balance of softness and pain—a quiet melancholy that lingers long after the music stops.
I've also been revisiting some of her older songs, and so far, my absolute favorite is "All I Want." I felt the lyrics so deeply—it was like they were speaking directly to me. That line about all I want is love that lasts really hit home. Maybe it's because I'm such a hopeless romantic, and I feel every word to my core. If you know what I'm saying, then you know exactly how that kind of song stays with you long after it ends.
Oops, I almost forgot—this blog is actually about Boracay! My bad. I got so carried away talking about Olivia Rodrigo that I nearly forgot today's main character.
So, back to Boracay—a world-renowned tropical paradise here in the Philippines, my beautiful home country. I'm incredibly grateful that I had the chance to visit this island again after more than a decade. This trip happened a little over two years ago with my aunt and one of her friends. She invited me to join them during her short vacation back home after years of working hard and living a busy life abroad. It was the perfect opportunity to spend quality time together while rediscovering one of the country's most breathtaking destinations.
A lot has changed since my last trip to Boracay, and I'll share those changes as we go along in this blog.
One of the biggest differences was how we got there. This time, we flew from Manila to Caticlan Airport, rode a tricycle, then took a large boat to the island at the Jetty Port. On my previous visit with friends, we landed at Kalibo International Airport, rode a van for over an hour to Caticlan, and then boarded a boat to Boracay. While getting to the island is definitely more convenient now, it still takes a bit of effort—especially if you're traveling with multiple pieces of luggage.
One thing I appreciated this time was the all-in-one transportation fee, which covered the boat transfer and even the tricycle ride to our accommodation. It made the journey much more seamless compared to my previous visit.
Before we dive into my Boracay experience, I'd like to share a few fun facts about this tropical paradise that continues to captivate both locals and travelers from around the world.
Nestled in the Western Visayas region of the Philippines, Boracay may be a small island, but it's packed with breathtaking beauty. Its world-famous White Beach stretches for about 4 kilometers, featuring powdery white sand that's incredibly soft to walk on and crystal-clear waters in stunning shades of blue. Whether you're planning to swim, snorkel, dive, or simply relax by the shore, Boracay offers something for every kind of traveler.
Puka Shell Beach
The island is traditionally divided into three main sections—Station 1, Station 2, and Station 3. Each station has its own unique vibe, from luxurious beachfront resorts and lively nightlife to quieter accommodations perfect for those seeking a more peaceful escape. Interestingly, you may also hear people mention "Station Zero," a newer term used to refer to the exclusive northern stretch of White Beach, home to some of the island's most upscale resorts.
Beyond its breathtaking beaches, Boracay is also home to fascinating local folklore. One of the island's most well-known legends tells the story of two star-crossed lovers—a beautiful fairy named Anini, who lived in the mountains, and a mortal man named Bora. Their love was forbidden, and according to the tale, it angered the gods, who transformed them into two separate islands.
Another version of the legend says that Boracay and the neighboring island of Panay were once connected as one landmass. A powerful storm eventually split them apart, giving rise to the stunning island paradise that visitors from around the world enjoy today. While these stories are part of local folklore rather than recorded history, they add a touch of magic and mystery to Boracay's already captivating charm.
Boracay is part of the Municipality of Malay in the province of Aklan and is divided into three barangays: Balabag, Manoc-Manoc, and Yapak. While the island is best known for its pristine beaches and vibrant tourism scene, it also has a rich natural environment that's worth appreciating.
One of Boracay's lesser-known treasures is its wildlife. The island is home to at least three species of flying foxes, or fruit bats, including the giant golden-crowned flying fox, the giant fruit bat, and the small flying fox. These fascinating creatures are mostly found in the island's quieter northern area, particularly in Barangay Yapak, where forested habitats provide a safe place for them to thrive.
Beyond its world-famous beaches and bustling tourism, Boracay is also the ancestral home of the Ati people, one of the Philippines' Indigenous communities and widely recognized as the island's earliest inhabitants. While many visitors come to experience Boracay's natural beauty, the island's cultural heritage is just as meaningful.
The Ati are part of the broader Negrito peoples of the Philippines and can also be found in other parts of the Visayas, particularly on the islands of Panay and Negros. They are genetically and culturally related to other Indigenous Negrito groups across the country, including the Aeta of Luzon and the Batak of Palawan. Learning about the Ati offers a deeper appreciation of Boracay's history and reminds us that the island's story began long before it became one of the world's most popular beach destinations.
Boracay Newcoast
Every January, the province of Aklan comes alive with the vibrant celebration of the famous Ati-Atihan Festival held in Kalibo. Known for its lively street dancing, colorful costumes, rhythmic drumbeats, and deep cultural roots, this grand celebration honors the rich heritage and traditions of the Ati people.
Lugutan Mangrove Park
Following the main festivities in Kalibo, Boracay also embraces the spirit of Ati-Atihan with a smaller celebration held about one to two weeks later. Although more intimate in scale, the island's version carries the same energy and festive atmosphere, allowing both locals and visitors to experience a glimpse of Aklan's unique culture while enjoying the beauty of Boracay.
I don't know if it's meant to be or just a coincidence, but for the third time, I found myself staying at a Canyon Hotels & Resorts property. From Canyon Woods and Canyon Cove in Batangas to Canyon Boracay, each stay has been a pleasant experience. To be honest, I've never had any major issues with any of these accommodations. They all offer great locations, comfortable rooms, and warm, friendly staff. My only wish is that we had been given a room with a nicer view during our stay in Boracay.
Boracay - Station 1
One thing I wish we had known from day one was that there’s a shortcut from the resort to Station 1, just a short walk away. It would have saved us a lot on transportation since taking a special tricycle ride around the island can be quite expensive, especially when traveling back and forth to Station 2, where D'Mall and most of the restaurants are located. Still, I guess it's all part of the journey. The silver lining was that we spent almost three days on the island without overspending, and we still had a wonderful time.
View from Sinagpa-Diniwid Beach
Since we arrived in the afternoon and were already quite tired from our journey, we kept our first day simple. Our only plans were to witness Boracay's famous breathtaking sunset and enjoy a hearty dinner at Gerry's Grill. Oops—I almost forgot! We also spent some time relaxing on the nearby beach, sitting on the powdery white sand as night slowly fell. The island looked beautiful, with most of the lights coming from the beachfront restaurants and nearby establishments. It was such a peaceful moment, made even more special by listening to my aunt share stories and cherished childhood memories of my father, her siblings, and their family.
Boracay - Station 2
Our second day on the island felt like our main adventure, knowing that we would be heading back to Manila the following afternoon. That morning, we hired a tricycle to take us to some of Boracay's well-known tourist spots. Our first stop was Puka Beach, which has always been my favorite place on the island. I was honestly excited to return after the wonderful swimming experience I had there more than a decade ago. Although it was high tide when we arrived and it started raining a few hours later, Puka Beach still had the same breathtaking beauty and peaceful atmosphere that I remembered.
Boracay Sunset
Puka Beach, originally known as Yapak Beach after the barangay where it's located, got its famous name from the puka shells once scattered along its white sand. The word puka, which means "hole" in Hawaiian, refers to the natural hole found in these small sea snail shells.
Like many beautiful destinations, Puka Beach has its own legend. One story says that early visitors were so captivated by its beauty that they helped introduce Boracay to the world. Puka shells are also believed to bring good luck and protection, especially during long journeys, making them a meaningful symbol of the island.
We spent a few relaxing hours at Puka Beach, enjoyed a late brunch, and returned to Canyon Boracay to freshen up before continuing our tour in the early afternoon. Our next stop was Lugutan Mangrove Park, located in Barangay Manoc-Manoc on the eastern side of the island. As Boracay's main mangrove conservation area, the park plays an important role in protecting the island's coastal ecosystem, helping reduce the impact of storm surges, and providing a safe habitat for various marine species and birds. It was a refreshing change of scenery and a reminder that Boracay offers much more than its world-famous white beaches.
It was already afternoon when the sun finally emerged again after an isolated heavy downpour, bathing Boracay in warm golden light. Taking advantage of the beautiful weather, our tricycle driver offered to take us on a tour of the quieter side of the island, including the area where we had first arrived on our opening day, in Bulabog Beach. The cool sea breeze made the ride even more enjoyable, and we stopped several times to capture the stunning scenery in photos. One of the highlights was visiting the Boracay Newcoast development, home to the island's famous Keyhole rock formation. Beyond the popular landmark, we also discovered another breathtaking stretch of Boracay—peaceful, uncrowded, and every bit as beautiful as its more famous beaches.
To be honest, I never discovered the famous Keyhole during my first visit to Boracay, and Boracay Newcoast wasn't even on my radar back then. Returning to the island after several years, I couldn't help but notice how much it has changed. Compared to my first trip, Boracay has become more developed and commercialized, with new resorts, restaurants, and establishments lining different parts of the island. While D'Mall remains a favorite spot for shopping and souvenirs, there are now so many more attractions and activities to enjoy, making Boracay an even more exciting destination for both first-time and returning visitors.
Tucked away on the northeastern coast of Boracay Island, specifically nestled within the Boracay Newcoast property in Barangay Yapak, Cujo's Keyhole is a hidden gem known for its striking natural rock formation and breathtaking ocean views. Away from the crowds of White Beach, this peaceful spot offers a unique perspective of Boracay's natural beauty, making it a favorite for photography, sightseeing, and those seeking a quieter island experience.
From Boracay Newcoast, we headed back to Station 1 to discover a quiet and scenic spot perfect for photos, the Diniwid-Sinagpa Beach. If I remember correctly, there’s a small keyhole-like opening carved into the rocks, creating a unique frame for the breathtaking view of the island. Located at the farthest end of Station 1, this spot offers a beautiful panorama of Boracay’s coastline, stretching from Station 1 to Station 3.
During our visit, the tide was low and the waves were calm, with only a few tourists around — making the experience even more peaceful and enjoyable. One of the best things about this hidden spot is that it was just a short walk from our accommodation, though visitors can also take a tricycle going up to The Shoppes at Station B for easier access.
Our last night in Boracay was the perfect way to end an unforgettable trip. We spent the evening strolling around D'Mall, finally trying Coco Mama—which, although a bit pricey, was absolutely worth it. I only wish they had a branch in Manila, preferably with slightly lower prices! Then again, most of the food in Boracay comes with a higher price tag. We also picked up some sweet souvenirs before winding down with a cozy wine night and a charcuterie board at the outdoor restaurant of Feliz Hotel, a lovely treat from my aunt that made our last evening even more special.
Our last morning in Boracay greeted us with a light shower of rain. Since my aunt couldn't join us that day, we decided to make the most of our remaining time by going for one last swim. Before heading to the hotel pool, we took the shortcut to Station 1. The tide was high, the waves were stronger than usual, and after a short walk, I found myself drawn to the peaceful atmosphere around The Lind Hotel. We ended up swimming nearby, enjoying the warm sea despite the cloudy skies and rolling waves.
The water felt incredible, and I realized just how much I had missed swimming in the ocean. I could have stayed there for hours if we had more time. As much as I enjoy pools, nothing compares to natural water—the gentle waves, the floating dried leaves, and even the tiny schools of fish swimming beneath you. It's those little things that make the sea feel so alive, and it's exactly why I'll always choose the ocean over the smell of chlorine.
And that's the end of my Boracay story. I truly hope I'll have the chance to return someday—this time with my mother—to create another set of unforgettable memories on this beautiful island.
As for my next travel blog, I'm still in the process of editing it, but I can't wait to share it with you. If you love hiking as much as I do, I think you're going to enjoy this one. It's about an adventure known as the "Beautiful Disaster"—my hike to Mt. Pinatubo. It happened more than two years ago and was more than just a hike; it was a journey with a purpose. It was one of the toughest trails I've ever completed, but every challenging step was worth it. I hope you'll join me as I look back on that unforgettable adventure in my next story.
"The sea has a way of reminding us that peace can be found in the simplest waves."- ChatGPT
My YouTube: SuperMarkyMacky Shares (before, SuperMarkyMacky Vlog)
My TikTok: @supermarkymacky1
My Facebook Page: Supermarkymacky Blog & Vlog
Facebook Group: SuperMarkyMacky & Folks
Comments
Post a Comment