Saturday, January 7, 2017

3 Mouthwatering Filipino Desserts For Media Noche




Happy New Year! Time indeed flies so fast. It was just like three weeks ago when we spent the christmas holiday dinner with our family where in the Philippines we call it "noche buena". And now? Sadly, new year's eve countdown is over too. I'm really sad because I wasn't able to appreciate that moment and to witness the fireworks display outside our house. Well, honestly I don't go outside during the countdown every year because of the smoke but only last year of 2016 that I had no chance to hear the firecrackers much louder and to spend that eve with my family. They were at my aunt's house while me, I was at work devoted to deliver on what they call "excellent customer service". Totally that was the first time it happened. But as they say too "oh boy, it's part of life". Its either to take it or leave it. Later on I realized that everything was just okay. Anyhow it still helped me to be much more independent even if it's already in my blood. In fact the day before the countdown after my shift at work I still managed to create filipino desserts. Definitely even though there was no one in our house I made sure to have food on the table aside from the usual basket of fruits. What's good with it? At least I had food to eat when I went home. To take over a new leaf since it's new year, new life and everything seems new. I already did this last december and because I wanna start the year a bit unique for the second time around I wanna share to all of my readers one of my skills. So I will be a cook slash (/) pastry chef again. Honestly, this post is just another trial and error since I would want to challenge myself too to put something new on my blog. So there you go. Here are my very own recipes of three filipino desserts I created last "Media Noche", a spanish term that literally means "midnight". Tell you what, these are the classic filipino desserts you can see on every Filipino family's table. These became part of the traditions during new year's eve countdown. Filipinos will serve these sweets with a very sweet smile too. Be mindful with your sugar intake. Make sure to have a bottled water on the side. Eat in moderation. Okay?




 Leche Flan
12 Brown Eggs
2 Cans(370 ml each) Evaporated Milk
1 Can(390 g) Condensed Milk
Maple Syrup
Water
Macapuno String(optional)
Cherry(optional)
1 tbsp Calamansi Juice or Lime
Vanilla Essence
*Steamer
*7 Llaneras (Leche Flan Molder)

In a bowl, combine egg yolks, 2 cans evaporated milk and 1 can condensed milk. Slowly stir in a circular motion until blended. Add 2 drops of vanilla essence and 1 tbsp of calamansi juice(you can also use lime). Gently stir again for a minute and strain egg-milk mixture. Then add 5 tbsp of maple syrup into each llanera. Pour 1 cup of strained egg-milk mixture into each prepared llanera. Cover lightly with foil. Fill the steamer with 2 litres of tap water and place the molds into the steamer. Steam it for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the toothpick inserted in the middle of mixture comes out clean. Finally, remove and allow it to cool. Refrigerate overnight to set. To serve, turn flan over on a plate. Add macapuno strings in the middle and cherry on top. Good for 7-14 person.




Strawberry And Peach Graham Cake
3 Cans of Strawberry 
1 Can of Peach
5 200g Crushed Graham
6 250 ml All-Purpose Cream
2 Cans (370 ml each) Condensed Milk
110g Butter 
Strawberry Essence
Maple Syrup

Drain the canned strawberry and canned peach. Cut the strawberry into two pieces. Slice peach halves into slices or cubes. Heat the pan and glaze the strawberry first by adding 3 tbsp of maple syrup for about 5-7 minutes. Do it also with sliced peaches. Put each glazed fruit in a small bowl. Set it aside. In a big bowl, pour all-purpose cream and condensed milk. Add 2 drops of strawberry essence. Slowly stir it in circular motion for 5 minutes. Set it aside. In another big bowl gently mix crushed graham and butter until well blended. Put a layer of graham mixture at the bottom of rectangular tray. Pour 2 cups of all-purpose cream-condensed milk mixture. Spread it until it covers all the surface(about 1/4 thick).  Top the layer with glazed strawberry. Repeat the same procedure but top the layer with glazed peach. Do it again until you get the desired number of layers. Pour the excess cream-milk mixture on top of the final layer. Decorate it with cherries. Refrigerate to chill overnight before serving. Good for 10-12 person.




Filipino Fruit Salad
4 Cans(1lbs each) of Fruit Cocktail
2 12oz Nata de Coco(Coco Gel)
1 12oz Sugar Palm Fruit(Kaong)
2 Cans 15oz Whole Corn Kernel
1 200g Raisins
3 250ml All-Purpose Cream
2 300ml Condensed Milk
250g Grated Cheese
Vanilla Essence
Parmesan Cheese(optional)
Cherry(optional)

Drain the fruit cocktail, nata de coco, sugar palm fruit and whole corn kernel. Put it altogether in one big bowl. Add raisins, grated cheese, all-purpose cream, condensed milk. Add 2 drops of vanilla essence. Mix it altogether in circular motion for about 3-5 minutes. Refrigerate it overnight. To serve, put it in a wine glass(optional) and add cherry on top. Good for 7-10 person.

No comments:

Post a Comment